2017 Priority Issues
ELECTIONS: SUPPORT FREE AND FAIR ELECTIONS
OPEN GOVERNMENT: ENSURE CITIZEN ACCESS
- Increase access to voting.
- Lessen the discriminatory effects of the Photo ID law and support its repeal.
- Support an independent redistricting process.
GOVERNMENT FINANCE: SUPPORT REVENUES AND ADEQUATE FUNDING FOR ESSENTIAL SERVICES AND GOOD GOVERNANCE
- Support open government through access to public records, open meetings, public notice by printed and electronic means, and general government transparency.
- Oppose fees for viewing public records.
- Support transparency and accountability of privatization through feasibility studies and follow up evaluations to ensure clear savings and comparable service.
EDUCATION: PROVIDE QUALITY EDUCATION
- Support safety net services, such as mental health, child protection, disability and food services.
- Support funding for state parks and all other state lands.
- Oppose privatization of core government services that ensure the common good or protect basic needs.
- Oppose reduction of revenue sources without replacing them with other sources of revenue.
- Support multi-source long term funding for transportation including regional mass transit.
- Support vigorous collection of out-of-state sales and other taxes.
HEALTH CARE REFORM: ASSURE COMPREHENSIVE, AFFORDABLE, AND ACCESSIBLE HEALTH CARE OPTIONS FOR ALL TENNESSEANS
- Support the policies and funding needed to provide quality public education, pre-k through high school.
- Oppose public funding of for-profit charter schools or their management by for-profit companies.
- Oppose public funding of private school vouchers.
ENVIRONMENT: SUPPORT FULL IMPLEMENTATION OF MEASURES TO PROTECT AND IMPROVE AIR, LAND, AND WATER QUALITY
- Oppose wholesale repeal of the Affordable Care Act before a plan to replace it has been enacted and study replacement option carefully.
- Maintain the current level of TennCare benefits for children, families, and disabled adults and work to expand this program to all adults in poverty.
IMMIGRATION: ENSURE THAT IMMIGRANTS AND REFUGEES ARE TREATED FAIRLY
- Restrict mining of natural resources that harms the human and natural environments.
- Restrict discharge of toxic substances into the air, land, or waters.
- Support development of infrastructure for renewable, sustainable energy.
- Support policy changes that allow Tennessee immigrant youth fair access to higher education.